~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Writers block

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mellie

mellie

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 11:50

I am just over 3000 words into an essay about a topic that is really rather boring, and was wondering what techniques some of you use to progress beyond the fuzzies.

Now it's rather selective with me, because there's always plenty of inspiration for other things I enjoy writing about ....but naturally, we cant always have the pleasure of writing about what we enjoy or are interested in so have to some how find it within myself to power on regardless.

Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
mellie

mellie

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 12:12

Every word feels like a sinking lead balloon tonight...and I'm now sitting here looking over the last 1000 words I wrote today...(my essay) and am thinking this could be printed on the back of toilet paper ...I know what I need...

Wink ... Coffee and a cigarette.... OK I lie, (already tried this earlier) but you lot would probably laugh at me if I told you one of the techniques I feel like using to overcome the weighty distraction of WB, ... you see... right now, if it were really early in the morning I would strip down bare and role around on my back lawn naked, absorbing the chlorophyll I imagine beneficially absorbing through the pours of my skin.

It works best when it's cooler weather though, when the grass snaps under your back like potato crisps or splinters of glass...even walking bare footed across the oval will suffice if you don't wish to mentally harm the neighbours that hour in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Erotica

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 12:29

a good fantasy always unblocks the brain and gets the juices flowing
Back to top Go down
Katanyavich

Katanyavich

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 12:41

I just walk away, and come back to it later.

Seems to work for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb 2010 - 13:04

Trouble is, I don't want to walk back to this essay, if I thought my challenging the teachers assigned task wouldn't compromise my mark, I would challenge her on the importance/necessity of assigning a 5000 word essay for such a topic.

eg... Copy-editing. Could you write 5000 words about this and not fall asleep?

It's not hard, just incredibly dull.

I'll put $500 on it that she doesn't even read them.
Back to top Go down
ceiling.leo

ceiling.leo

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeTue 9 Feb 2010 - 11:11

mmmm writer's block huh

mmmm sounds like you need something to uhum....blow your mind!
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitimeTue 9 Feb 2010 - 11:53

lol perhaps...but I feel much better tonight, now that I have completed the assignment.

I really need to work on typing my work as I go...I'm still stuck in that silly old uni habit of writing/drafting my essays up by hand on paper ..... then editing and typing them up afterwards.

I will say, this has it's advantages, 1 being that when I write, I generally divide myself into two separate characters...one the creator, the artist, the author... the other the editor, perfectionist and critic.

Typing them up and editing as I go in a single draft just feels too mechanical (even if it does save time) but when I do this I find them a little too sterile, and lacking in flow/my usual flair, which I find detracts from my finished product.
Does this make sense or do you think this is a habit I have carried over from uni back in the early 2000's and really need to kick?

It''s different when I'm writing articles, reports or short essays... I can punch these straight into the computer without a hitch... but when it comes to long essays, or scholarly articles where I am cross checking references and revising my own application frequently ....I like to sit there in a quiet place, (usually my bedroom ) sprawled across the bed alongside open and bookmarked text books (pages marked with white pieces of paper) with a pile of self-notes, quotes, and cited text I plan to incorporate into my essay...and a lap to at hand of course.

We required no less than 15 references this time, and no less than 5 journal articles..(not abstracts) ...though 5 of these references had to be cited from our teachers own preferred texts, of which is unusual, and not something I have come across before, not even at uni. Different if you are writing a report, so I think this teacher is a bit of a free-styler herself....'tad alternative' this or is teaching from an Indian call centre in Bangladesh balancing Krishna and Trishna on her shoulders. Ignore me, I was shitty earlier.

Smile

I'm more of a free styler myself, so don't enjoy the rigidity, restrictiveness of incorporating other peoples thoughts I disagree with,(their cited text) into my own work...unless I think highly enough of their work that I might like to.

Anyway.... I don't want to talk about this essay, for another week.... would rather know how you lot are...and talk about anything but this again tonight.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Writers block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writers block   Writers block Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writers block
Page 1 of 1