~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Books you have read and loved

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mellie

mellie

Books you have read and loved Empty
PostSubject: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010 - 5:31

Make a suggestion. Cool
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
tickfen

tickfen

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 3:29

My favourite book to read is Playboy, cant wait for the centrefold to be shown in the braille edition - lol
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 9:56

Smile... Good for you Tick, at least your reading....or are you? Cool

Any books a good book in my opinion, you are never alone when you have a book.

On this note, I have a date with Dan Brown again tonight... so will make myself a nice cup of tea after I get a few things done first.. then settle back into my book.

Almost finished... I plan to finish it this weekend.

Cheers, and have a great weekend.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Barfly

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 5:58

Don't laugh, but I thoroughly enjoyed Gone With the Wind. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:06

Lol, would you believe, I have never read this....I probably should, it's a classic.

It's one of the books on the 100 books you should read before you die list...so must be half decent.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Barfly

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:12

It's pretty long, and quite different from the movie....eg Scarlett was married twice before she married Rhett, and also had other children.

Also, pretty detailed about the times and conditions back then. The only part where I think failed was the fact that the slaves all seemed happy, loyal........and very simple. But then, the book was about Scarlett, who was a very selfish selfcentred person, so it's probably looking at it through her eyes.
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:20

Would be a most Politically incorrect text for today's school curriculum, that's for sure.

I still don't like watching old American black and white movies, whereby the black servants behave subserviently and obediently pander to their "Master/Mistress" every whim.

Even in the Shirley Temple movies, ie "Little princess" annoys me.

To Kill a Mocking bird is another classic worthy of reading before you die.

Smile I have both the book and the film.
Back to top Go down
Barfly

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:24

That was a brilliant book......brilliant movie too. Smile
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 6:26

...and the only reason those slaves appeared happy is because they knew if they didn't, their selfish masters/mistresses would get another slave from the auctions, this or abuse them if they appeared tortured and miserable, especially among polite company.

To have a happy slave was a status symbol, they were treated like second class citizens, less than children in private, and like staff/children in public.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books you have read and loved   Books you have read and loved Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books you have read and loved
Page 1 of 1