~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brrrrrrrrr

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 0:13

Minus three degrees here in Windsor this morning, bloody hell Shocked

The air conditioner is on and working now, finally (And it's a whopping huge split system we have here) but was completely iced over and wouldn't even function between 5:00 am and 6:30 am this morning.

Crazy Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 0:20

It's a Samsung bio Tech plus.

S/N:P1BW100504M (what ever this means)

Possibly the wattage.

Smile...Other numbers it has on it are...

SH30ZA2/XSA

M/C:A6EB

I am trying to figure out which one is the actual model number, so I may find an online manual and troubleshoot the freezing up problem in the morning...(mind you, it's not often we have minus 3 temperatures) usually happens at around zero degrees I have noticed.

It appears that the outdoor component of the split system is too cold to function, I'm thinking the water left in it freezes over night, then when we get up on an extra cold morning, the water inside it's frozen, much like the water freezes on car windscreens, then around 6-6:30 am, when the ice begins the turn to condensation, the air-conditioner starts to function again.

My friend thinks it's the water in the pipes itself, this and condensation left in the unit which freezes over night.

We have a fire place which has been professionally bricked over/closed and now simply serves as a historical mantel piece.

Just goes to show you that sometimes, despite modern technology, you cant beat the real thing...a good old fashioned fireplace.

It's currently still only 17 degrees (inside temperature).... outside, last I heard (at around 6:30 am), it was minus 3 degrees in Richmond, and still dropping.

God, it was even warmer in Melbourne and Tasmania today...

I have to figure out a way of stopping the condensation from freezing in the outdoor component of my split system... perhaps buy a heater to heat up my heater?

Rolling Eyes External insulation perhaps?

There has to be a way.... study

Antifreeze... it works similar to a car radiator.... hmmm scratch
Back to top Go down
LOL@brok

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 1:25

hi mellie, this bit of info might help you find solution,

the manufacturers of these units rarely tell you they wont function in cold temps, they might say it wont work when below zero, but they usually don't heat when gets down to about 5-7 degrees

http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/resources/documents/Reverse_cycle_AC.pdf

Air conditioners in cold climates
some models may not function as effectively in temperatures below 5°C,
although some have an auxiliary heater or de-icing capacity to assist in
cold weather.
Back to top Go down
LOL@brok

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 1:43

google search --> reverse cycle heating not working in cold temperatures

I spent ages researching same prob, stayed in a holiday cabin last winter, and froze in the early mornings, , thought system was not working at all,

used a small fan heater till later in the morning when split system had unfrozen
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 13:40

Thanks for that lol@brock.... it's good to know it's kinda normal for this thing to happen.

Smile And thanks for the advice, will look into it...we are into another cold one in the morning.

I wonder if the Labor party have any insulation bats lying around, I might line the casing of my spit system with them...to prevent it from freezing.

Back to top Go down
SpotOn

SpotOn

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010 - 15:57

Lol just get ducted gas heating that simply ROCKS!!!
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010 - 6:26

Lol....this is a really good article, and I think if the gas needs replacing, then there's possibly some sort of leak to begin with.

This is a huge otherwise excellent split system, and has always served us well.

So I will have my friend remove the case to see if the evaporator coil simply needs a clean first, before I call the agent....lol, I had no idea regular housekeeping of a split system was required....there was no manual in the house when we arrived here 7 years ago.

I'm a good tenant, and try to do things myself wherever possible, and in return, my agent, the landlord are reasonable.

Smile Some tenants are lazy, will demand a plumber just to change a washer in a tap...Sooks!

I had a friend who complained about the mould in her wardrobe once *shakes head*

http://www.air-conditioning-and-refrigeration-guide.com/air-conditioning-freezing.html

Anyway....in a hurry, really have to go RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

bbl

Smile

Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010 - 14:18

Well, I'm off , too cold to sit up tonight.

affraid

It's the coldest winter we've had since 1940' something or other.....so, definitely book reading weather.

Minus 4 degrees is brrrrrr hot chocolate and toasted marshmallow weather, the kids and I built and indoor fire tonight with a bunsen burner.....classic!

:)Night.
Back to top Go down
wotwot

wotwot

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun 2010 - 14:21

Dont burn the house down lol
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeThu 1 Jul 2010 - 1:27

Lol....funny you should say that actually, because we wont be using the old bunsie any-more after last night, has a leak in the gas hose... (Ok, didn't cause a fire, but could have).... it's a 1940's /50's one (is brass)and I think it's just an ex-school bunsen burner, a relative I think may have stolen from his science lab (he said they gave it to him, but this doesn't quite sound right)... when he was a teenager, which he then in turn gave to me when I started high school due to my having an interest in science. It hooks up to a gas cylinder,(I think the hose is not original) but we couldn't smell the leak ourselves, but it's definitely leaking, so we might treat it like the antique it is....well, close enough to an antique anyway,,lol Smile .....So, tonight , we are going out to buy one of those cheap gas camping stoves, you know the ones with the butane gas cans/cylinders. They are about $20 to $30...so, and probably a whole lot safer, Just to toast the marshmallows inside from now on.

Very Happy ...We take our toasting of marshmallows very very seriously, it's just a shame the old bunsens hose is no longer safe, I think it will be very hard to find another one like it to
replace it I think my relative modified a newer one to fit it, so it would hook up to a gas cylinder. Anyway, we probably shouldn't be using it anyway, not like this, I had been treating it like an old kitchen appliance, lol...like how I occasionally drag out my nans old waffle iron.

The first time I used old bunsie was for a sleepover when I was about 14 and I wanted to impress my friends...we wanted to toast marshmallows inside, ...and I never actually used it for science, ...much to my relatives horror.

Smile

Laughing ..Well, like I told him, what the hell was I supposed to do with it,(and I still love science)... steal chemicals from my school lab to conduct my own unsafe experiments at home unsupervised? *head shakes*

It's more of an heirloom now, so...and I valued one similar, (looks very much like it on ebay) and the value is' only about $200 at most, so.....

Not overly valuable either, not yet anyway.

....So bunsie will be put into storage, until I can find a suitable hose, that fits it...but the connection has to be modified to connect to a gas cylinder now, this and these days should be tested by a professional too i'd say.
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitimeThu 1 Jul 2010 - 1:29

It worked a treat until last night, the flame was much smaller than usual too... Crying or Very sad

Either a leak or somethings blocked!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brrrrrrrrr Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brrrrrrrrr   Brrrrrrrrr Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brrrrrrrrr
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~Ausatire~ :: The best of Ausatire :: General Discussion & Entertainment :: The Cafe-
Jump to: