~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Foods and beverages you cant live without

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SCOPE

SCOPE

Foods and beverages you cant live without Empty
PostSubject: Foods and beverages you cant live without   Foods and beverages you cant live without Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010 - 12:58

-White tea ginger tea and licorice tea....yummy!

Smile
Back to top Go down
melli

melli

PostSubject: Re: Foods and beverages you cant live without   Foods and beverages you cant live without Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 6:00

Ok...I am a bit of a hot chocolate connoisseur, Well, I like to imagine so anyway...

Wink So, here's a more Australianised version of the authentic Portuguese hot chocolate only without the almonds and the chilly some of you probably would find odd in your hot chocolate.

My kids love this simple Aussyfied version of that thick gooey, almost chocolate Yogo consistency European hot chocolate/sipping chocolate, you normally have to venture into a good Italian café to experience, and even then, I have never found one quite up to scratch in comparison to my grandmothers, which contained ground almonds and a little chilly, and one thing and another.

Cocoa Castillian or Spanish Hot Chocolate

This recipe was provided by Tallyrand in response to an email enquiry.

If you are searching for a recipe or just need help and advice why not send an email to Tallyrand

Remember to have a look at Tallyrand's regular recipe column and his tips

Ingredients

30 gm cocoa powder - unsweetened
100 gm sugar
13 gm cornflour
65 ml water
500 ml milk

Method
Dissolve the cornflour in the water in a thick bottom saucepan
Mix the cocoa powder and sugar together and combine with the cornflour mixture
Stir to a smooth paste.
Place over a medium to low heat stirring continuously with a whisk
Gradually pour in the milk
Continue stirring and bring to a simmer.
Simmer, stirring continuously for approx. 10 minutes
The cocoa is ready when it no longer thickens and is glossy and smooth

Chef's Tip:

The consistency should resemble chocolate mousse that didn't quite set.

Adjust the cornflour, sugar and cocoa on your second attempt to suit your
own personal tastes.

Different brands/grades of cocoa can and will greatly affect the final result.

Enjoy and bon appetit . . . . .

But remember, my grandmothers is better, but this is pretty good, for something quick and simple.

Smile
Back to top Go down
melli

melli

PostSubject: Re: Foods and beverages you cant live without   Foods and beverages you cant live without Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 6:07

"REAL" European hot chocolate should be able to lightly coat the back of a spoon, and or your ameretti when you dunk either these or some other Italian biscuit, ie biscotti into it.

It also should look richer than it tastes, should not be sickly rich or sweet.

Like my grandmother, you could try thickening your brew with 'fresh' almond meal, this and adding other spices, or liquors, if like me you really love the texture and flavour of almonds.

Smile... It's trial and error, each household has it's own...my nan was a fan of almond and orange liqueur or chilly.

Back to top Go down
melli

melli

PostSubject: Re: Foods and beverages you cant live without   Foods and beverages you cant live without Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 6:24

My personal favourite is the hot chocolate thickened with freshly ground almond meal, (it's got to be fresh)... to which you add water to then squeeze through muslin, (makes almond milk)...then use this for the above recipe in place of just ordinary milk.

I add vanilla bean to mine, and I serve a little pot of whipped cream with it too, when I'm serving this to friends who have come over for movies, (when I want to show off...lol).... but you still need to use a little cornflour, as the recipe suggests above, and make sure you use top shelf coco powder.

Tip:Make the almond milk a day ahead, so you don't have to waste time when entertaining, it freezes well too, so you can make up a whole batch and defrost as required.

Have a lovely weekend, guess what I'm now going to go and make ...

hahahaha

Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foods and beverages you cant live without   Foods and beverages you cant live without Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foods and beverages you cant live without
Page 1 of 1