~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Islamic dress

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mellie

mellie

Islamic dress Empty
PostSubject: Islamic dress   Islamic dress Icon_minitimeSun 2 May 2010 - 10:41

upon a little research, (I still have more to do), it's become apparent to me that there appears to be some western confusion surrounding the terms we are using in the media to define specific garments worn by Muslim woman.

When our media speaks of banning full face veils, they refer to a garment known as the Burqa, or burka, when in fact, the garment to which they are referring to is a niqab, whereby only the eyes can be seen.

We need to be clear about defining the types of clothing being worn by any given cultural group before writing articles about cultural dress in general, because in suggesting we ban a burqa, might appear as though we are being rather excessive and extreme ourselves, when the least we could do is get the name of the garment correct.

I don't have a problem with woman wearing a veil, so long as their faces are visible.

I have my reasons, of which are mostly social, cultural and psychological, but I will delve into this deeper later on.

In the mean time, I suggest we get the names of the garments correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_sartorial_hijab

Last edited by mellie on Sun 2 May 2010 - 13:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
m?lli?

Islamic dress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Islamic dress   Islamic dress Icon_minitimeSun 2 May 2010 - 10:45

I am obsessed with Muslims and Islam now.

Makes a change from Yahoo, the Moon Landings and Airbus, I guess?

I am always obsessed about something.

Highly strung? Yes, most people think I should be. Strung up, that is. Laughing

lubs. xoxox.
Back to top Go down
mellie

mellie

Islamic dress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Islamic dress   Islamic dress Icon_minitimeSun 2 May 2010 - 13:56

I have many interests borns, unfortunately for yourself, you are not one of them.

I have not posted on Yahoo for weeks now...so could you take a breath and try to contribute something interesting here, if you must post here at all?

I realise telling you to stop using an altered version of my registered handle will only excite you to use it more, ... did it ever occur to you that there are so many things you could sink your teeth into.... topics, interests, fields of study etc, this opposed to directing your attentions towards me?

Honestly, I hate to break it to you, and whilst I'm flattered, I'm really not as interesting as you might think.

Very Happy... On a scale of interesting, I rate my own commentary about a 4 or 5... have you tried facebook?

It's a hoot.

Need a link?

Have you thought about doing one of those open university courses if you don't enjoy getting out much?

Honestly, I think half your problem is that you're incredibly bored.

Can always tell the trouble makers, they rarely put up their interests, don't seem to have any, rather post/troll to annoy those who do.

Hey, by all means, post away, but if I disappear into the book I'm currently reading, then I'm sure you will understand.

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

Islamic dress Empty
PostSubject: Re: Islamic dress   Islamic dress Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Islamic dress
Page 1 of 1