~Ausatire~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most politically incorrect place to be at the right time.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What made you happy today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mellie

mellie

What made you happy today Empty
PostSubject: What made you happy today   What made you happy today Icon_minitimeFri 19 Mar 2010 - 8:26

I received some excellent news today, looks like my harping paid off with respects to my daughter having received a placement in a (rare) high functioning autism class... the best possible outcome we could have hoped for.

Spots like these for clever autistic secondary school kids are as rare as hens teeth, kids are still on the list after having had their name down even before having starting school.

We got lucky, but this wont stop me advocating for other parents, this and hounding the department for more high functioning autism (aspergers) classes for kids like my daughter who don't meet the special class requirements, though struggle in a mainstream class.
The noise level is an issue for my daughter, she hates loud noises, and year 7 classrooms are pretty noisy.

She shocked my sox off me recently, scored 100% in a maths assessment without having even learned the work at school.

Just learned to tie her shoe laces, yet blitzes maths tests, yet has a photographic memory like an elephant for just about every road sign she's ever driven past.

This is an excellent outcome ...though I will still push forth with doing everything in my power to have classes for kids like my daughter funded in more public high schools across the country. No child should have to wait in line for an education in this country.
Normally what happens with kids like her is they fall through the gaps, this and muddle through school both academically and socially, this and underachieve.
Many of which show signs of unique gifts, artists, inventors, musicians, scientists, astronomers, ....generally what ever they are good at, they excel at...more so than even the brightest, possibly because it becomes more like an obsession, doing the same thing over and over again, (way she watches the same movies over and over again) until they have perfected what ever it is they are working towards.

This is not a special school, it's a regular highschool with a high functioning autism class.

Have I told her yet?

No... (even though this sounds like the perfect class for her) ...I Will be going to have a look at the school on Tuesday or Wednesday, whenever the new principle can see us, ... just to be on the safe side.

Smile... Has been an enormously busy week, writing letters upon letters upon letters.

Well, we got results.

Never give up!

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net
mellie

mellie

What made you happy today Empty
PostSubject: Re: What made you happy today   What made you happy today Icon_minitimeFri 19 Mar 2010 - 8:43

More classes required for well behaved bright ASD kids!

Because a large percentage of ASD classes are for those who are quite severe.

I can imagine this little class... filled with perfectly well behaved kids solving the universes greatest mysteries in virtual silence communicating via mental telepathy...(ok, that's going a bit too far)... but they do have their own unique codes, mannerisms, other kids just don't get.

Smile Apparently this class is filled with kids just like her.

No problem behaviours at all.

Which is rare.

And no fence of course.... as they don't require caging, they are better behaved than regular school kids in most cases as they follow rules almost to a point whereby regular kids think they are 'noobs' as my son calls it.
Back to top Go down
https://ausatire.forumotion.net

What made you happy today
Page 1 of 1